A dirty mind is a wonderful thing, especially in a woman. If she has the courage to match it, she is endlessly fascinating.
Women Seeking Women 104 #1 Amber Chase, Chastity Lynn
Why feeding water birds bread is harmful:
- Duckling Malnutrition: In an area where ducks are regularly fed bread, ducklings will not receive adequate nutrition for proper growth and development. Furthermore, because ducks will naturally seek out an easy food source such as human handouts, ducklings will not learn to forage for natural foods as easily.
- Overcrowding: Where an easy food source is abundant, ducks and other waterfowl will lay more eggs and the pond or lake will become overcrowded. This makes it more difficult for the birds to seek out healthier food sources and increases the likelihood of territorial aggression.
- Pollution: When too much bread is offered to ducks, not all of it will be eaten. The soggy, uneaten bread is unsightly and rotting bread can create noxious odors as well as lead to greater algae growth that can clog natural waterways. This concentrates the pollution and can eventually eradicate fish and other life in the vicinity.
- Diseases: Feeding ducks bread can increase the spread of diseases in two ways. First, a carbohydrate-rich diet leads to greater defecation, and bird feces easily harbor bacteria responsible for numerous diseases, including avian botulism. Second, moldy bread can cause aspergillosis, a fatal lung infection that can decimate entire duck and waterfowl flocks.
- Pest Attraction: Rotting supplies of food leftover from sated ducks will attract other unwelcome pests such as rats, mice and insects. These pests can also harbor additional diseases that can be dangerous to humans.
- Loss of Natural Behaviour: When birds become accustomed to handouts, they lose their natural fear of humans and may become aggressive in order to get more food. Their loss of fear can also cause other dangers, such as a willingness to cross busy roads in order to reach picnickers and other likely sources of food.
Good Foods to Feed Ducks:
The best foods for ducks are those that provide the nutrients, minerals and vitamins the birds need for healthy growth and development. Many of these foods are similar to the natural seeds, grains and plants the birds will forage on their own. As omnivorous birds, ducks will eat a great deal of different foods, and the best foods to offer ducks include:
- Cracked corn
- Wheat, barley or similar grains
- Oats (uncooked; rolled or quick)
- Rice (cooked or uncooked)
- Birdseed (any type or mix)
- Grapes (cut in half)
- Frozen peas or corn (defrosted, no need to cook)
- Mealworms (fresh or dried)
- Chopped lettuce or other greens or salad mixes
- Vegetable trimmings or peels (chopped)
- Duck feed pellets or poultry starter pellets (x)
Every year I will reblog some kind of reminder of this! Please don’t feed waterfowl bread.
I used to volunteer at a country park and we would literally ban people if they fed the ducks and swans bread. People said it was because we wanted to make money via the seeds we sold in the gift shop (which were a special blend especially for waterfowl) but in reality it is because disposing of ducks that had died from being fed too much bread was starting to have a mental impact on the volunteers.
Oh wow I didn’t know this! Everyone should know this!
My local lolitas are always feeding ducks bread at picnics and such, let’s stop doing this ;_;
Don’t have the extra cash to spare but still want to take college courses? Perhaps you have kids to teach or you weren’t able to finish High School? NO PROBLEM! I got you covered!!
College Education Online for FREE!
“The Khan Academy is an organization on a mission. We’re a not-for-profit with the goal of changing education for the better by providing a free world-class education for anyone anywhere.”
“We are a social entrepreneurship company that partners with the top universities in the world to offer courses online for anyone to take, for free. We envision a future where the top universities are educating not only thousands of students, but millions. Our technology enables the best professors to teach tens or hundreds of thousands of students.”
Learn. Think. Do.
Higher Education for Free
Panacea is a registered non-profit organisation, dedicated to educational study and research. The Panacea University is the world’s first open source online university.
“ALISON provides a new world of free online learning opportunity”
UNESCO Director General, Dr Irina Bokova
“ALISON opens up the world of knowledge offering new, flexible, and exciting ways to learn”
Dept. of Innovation, Universities & Skills, UK GOVT
“A Creative Model of Open Education for a Global Economy”
New York Times
At w3schools.com you will learn how to make a website. We offer free tutorials in all web development technologies.
Select a tutorial from the menu to the left.
Tracks are series of courses grouped to help you master a topic or language. Choose one to start learning!
MIT OpenCourseWare Free Online Classes
Educators, need a resource for setting up a course online?
Moodle is an Open Source Course Management System (CMS), also known as a Learning Management System (LMS) or a Virtual Learning Environment (VLE). It has become very popular among educators around the world as a tool for creating online dynamic web sites for their students. To work, it needs to be installed on a web server somewhere, either on one of your own computers or one at a web hosting company.
Zero Emissions Research and Initiatives (ZERI) is a global network of creative minds, seeking solutions to the ever increasing problems of the world.
Take part in their free educational course.FULL COURSES & SEMINARS!! DON’T LET THIS PASS YOU BY!
oh god oh god I clicked the first one and now I’m having a breakdown